Monday, April 7, 2008

afternoon sickness...

around my 7th week of pregnancy i began to feel really sick. i was queasy all day most every day for a few weeks. it wasn't much fun. at my 10 week appointment my wonderful midwife prescribed zofran for me. i began taking it the next day. i was able to stretch the 10 day, very expensive drug to 2 weeks. yesterday, i took my last dose.

over the last week, the afternoons and parts of the evenings have been the time when i feel the most sick. the zofran really did help a lot. i certainly was not as sick as i was without it. but unfortunately the meds have some yucky side effects like headaches, dizziness and constipation - yuck. so i took the lesser of the two evils and took the zofran.

since i am now 12 weeks and 3 days pregnant - quickly approaching the second trimester, i decided to see what i feel like without the zofran. so today is the first day without it. i have been a little bit queasy this afternoon, extremely hungry (nothing new!) and fighting off a little acid reflux (also nothing new). so we shall see if i can do it without the meds! if i start feeling sick again - i am back on the zofran.

i am not one who really likes to take a lot of medication, especially when i am pregnant. but with 3 kids and one on the way, i decided to take the zofran - being all about survival. but zofran isn't the only thing i have had to take. i have also had to take tylenol here and there for the headaches, zantac for the acid reflux/indigestion - the tums just were not cutting it, and colace (a stool softener - i know t.m.i.) in addition to my prenatal vitamins. wow!

i am hoping that i can cut out the zofran, which will cut out the tylenol and the colace. i am certain i will continue on zantac, that is a staple in my prego diet!!

i will trade all day sickness for a little afternoon sickness any day!!!

2 comments:

melanie said...

taking a colace every night myself :)

Patti's Chat said...

Hey girl - I'm getting dizzy trying to read the print on your page. Hahahah! It's so light that I can barely see the words - HELP! I even have my old fart glasses on! :))